header-graphic

 

our history
First United Methodist Church of Malvern is the outgrowth of Rockport Circuit, which was organized in 1836 and included Rockport, where our church had its beginning. 

In 1877, the congregation of the Rockport Methodist Church voted to move its church building to the new town of Malvern, since most of its members had moved there. 

The site where the present church stands was secured in October, 1878. The church building at Rockport was dismantled and moved to this new location in Malvern where the congregation worshiped for 10 years.  In 1888, needing a larger worship building, Malvern Methodist Church voted to erect a brick church on the site.  The old frame building was moved back to its original location in Rockport and the new church was built. Completed in 1889, it was in service for less than 20 years. The building was completely destroyed by a tornado on March 8, 1908.

1912 building

The sanctuary unit of the next church building was constructed between 1908 and 1910. In 1923, a three-story brick Sunday School annex was added to the rear of the church and in 1949 the Fellowship and Recreational Hall was added at the south end of the church.  The building now houses the church's main offices, a large recreation hall with a performing stage and the practice rooms for the Chancel and Handbell Choirs.

The Children’s Educational Building was completed and first used in June,1961.

In 1975, the 1910 sanctuary building was razed along with the 1923 Sunday School annex and the present sanctuary was built on the site at the corner of E. Page Ave. & Ash Sts. It was dedicated in 1976.

church night scene

A smaller worship building, Toler Chapel, was also built in 1975 to accomodate more intimate services.

stained glass window The stained-glass windows in the present main church sanctuary,
which depict biblical events, are over 100 years old, having hung
originally in the 1910 building.

Shown left: Moses holding the tablets of stone on which the Ten Commandments were inscribed.

 

 

Our History

Church Staff

Weddings

Facilities Rental